I consult and collaborate with authors on their books. Manifest Identity is not the publisher, the author is the publisher. Ultimately, it’s the author’s book, no one else’s, so unlike a publishing company, I do not tell authors what to do. At the same time, I know from experience how important it is to honor those professional industry standards that will make the book really shine. I am always balancing these two priorities in my work at Manifest Identity: faithfulness to the author’s vision and publishing know-how to make the book as beautiful, as useful to the reader, and as appealing to buyers as possible.“—Lindy Gifford, on working together
Manifest Identity’s Guiding Principles:
- Each author is a unique individual bringing their singular experience to their book.
- Bringing a book to the world is never easy and independent publishing is especially challenging.
- No author can know everything they need to know to create a serious independently published book.
- Authors deserve and need individual attention, guidance, and support, throughout the process.
- Any book will be more successful if it is professionally produced to industry quality standards.
- Beautiful design is essential for a book to succeed.
Over the months that we worked together on my second book Lindy’s approach was the perfect blend of responsiveness, support, and provocation. Thanks to her partnership and professionalism, I have a book that I am proud of—one that offers readers a space of beauty and respite in its pages.“—Lisa Steele-Maley, author of Arriving Here
Lindy works with people in one of two ways, or in combination, depending on their publishing goals and where they are in the creation of their book.
- Serves authors who do not have a finished book manuscript, but would like support working towards one.
- Offers authors perspective, envisioning their book, and structure, weaving the pieces into a cohesive whole.
- Also for people who are starting work on a new business or website and could use support, perspective, and structure.
- For authors who have a manuscript more or less ready for publication and need help with the nuts and bolts of actually getting it published.
- Offers clarity in discerning the best route to publication, demystifying independent publishing.
- Gives practical help refining an existing manuscript to one that is publication-ready, if needed.
- Utilizes book design skills and publishing industry knowledge and connections to produce the highest-quality book possible.